Like every other commercial sector, one of the top priorities of the healthcare industry is designing an integrated marketing strategy that converts potential leads to patients. In this context, audience profiling or defining the right target audience becomes crucial but is often neglected. Moreover, if the healthcare provider has a dedicated medical website, audience profiling becomes a critical aspect of their healthcare digital marketing project.
What Does Target Marketing Mean in Healthcare?
Target healthcare marketing refers to a strategy that segments a sizable potential market into smaller parts to help marketers focus on a specific cohort of patients. It categorizes a group of likely patients based on various characteristics and concentrates on serving them judiciously. Thus, instead of reaching out to the total potential market altogether, target marketing promotes the investment of time and resources into connecting with a defined set of patients within the potential market.
Criteria to Define the Target Audience
Quite often, hospitals, clinics, and other healthcare facilities fail to register a decent number of footfalls, which dwindles the business. From a sales and marketing point of view, the cause of such a shrinking business is a lack of insight in targeting the right audience through advertisements and promotions. Hence, healthcare providers must profile their audience based on specific criteria, such as:
- Demographics: The target audience’s gender, age, education, occupation, beliefs, and household income dictates the kind of healthcare services they’ll be looking for,
- Location: Healthcare facilities in or near posh neighbourhoods will attract patients different from those located in a low-profile locality
- Affordability: The lifestyle and consumption patterns of the people of an area will help decide the standard cost of healthcare services they can afford.
Why is it Important to Target the Right Audience?
Target marketing is part of a comprehensive healthcare marketing strategy. It helps ensure a wholesome patient experience, impacts the branding, and promotes profitable and efficient business operations. Overall, targeting the right audience has the following advantages:
- Sifting through the potential market to connect with a specific audience group will give you an edge over your competitors.
- It helps you achieve a broader reach by directly connecting with patients.
- Target marketing can help you craft personalized messages that will resonate with your target patients on a personal level.
- Once you connect directly with the right kind of audience, you are more likely to win premium leads that will convert to loyal patients.
- Zooming in on a defined set of audiences with specific characteristics helps design medical websites with optimized content.
- Lastly, target marketing helps improve services and build a strong customer base while optimizing time and resources.
Target marketing in healthcare swears by one golden philosophy, and that is, the more precisely you define your target patients, the more effectively you can shape your brand. Target marketing benefits brands, healthcare providers, and patients alike. It allows reaching out to select audiences while improving patient experience, patient loyalty, service quality, and brand image.